Sunday, April 12, 2009

The menace of "Amway" social marketing in India

While returning from Mumbai around 3 months back, I happened to meet with a gentleman working with Standard Chartered Bank in Bangalore..As good passengers, we exchanged our phone numbers, interests, hobbies, work related trivial matters etc..

After reaching back to Bangalore, I got a call from him regarding an exciting business opportunity and his eagerness to meet me at my place..I readily agreed..What started since then was his four visits along with his wife during off hours and explanations regarding how one can make money by joining Amway band wagon..While, I tried to give him pointers that I was not keen in joining this network, he kept on insisting and also gave me two CDs to listen to what others are preaching about Amway..While, the products from Amway could be of superior quality, but such tactics leaves one with bad taste in mouth..

I think, I would call this tactic as social marketing and including the spouse in the whole cycle as cheap way to earn money..I am not saying that people are entitled to earn extra money in whichever way they think is right, but leave others who are not keen..

After, I had refused to entertain his further calls, I am not getting his pestering calls any more..I am not in favour of rejecting people out right. In this case, I thought, this person is educated, well mannered, but even then, such a behaviour is uncalled for..Some one should take strong actions against this type of propaganda marketing..

2 comments:

Murthy said...

Network Marketing is just building a team that works in unison. This form has lot of positives and a few people really spoil the spirit enshrined in the propagation of this kind of marketing. A member can always describe the plus points without being a nuisance to the prospect. In fact the products should speak for itself. It is from the advantage one derives by using the products that the network should flourish and the income should increase. In fact, as a business owner of a network marketing company, I also sometimes take the privilege of getting my prospects qualified for the job.If coersion is the tool, I would have by now made all my brothers and friends as business owners inn my team. But a member should really qualify. It is like anyother job. Those who view the entire thing sceptically should be allowed to take their own time to understand the positives.A few bad examples should not be applied to judge the entire industry.
K.Murthy, Chennai 117

Rishi said...

It is not just one example..I had gotten call from an IIM graduate (I don't know how he had got my number) asking me to join an interesting business opportunity..It is shame that people take this opportunity for "social marketing". Now, why he did not tell me in the first place that it is Amway, even though I asked so..I mean, if you like the product personally, keep it to yourself, or blog about it..Why intrude in someone else's life? If I was interested, I could have asked my relatives (who are doing this) to invite me to join..This should be dealt strongly and condemned. I have understood the positives and negatives and frankly, I have better things to do in life than to make money by fooling people around.